Saturday, January 30, 2010

Easy Peasy - Almond Breezy


Milk isn't something you necessarily need to swap when you want to lose weight, unless you are drinking whole milk. Which my grandma does. And my mom can't stand whole milk so she drinks 2%. And my roommate can't stand 2% and drinks skim. 
Personally, I like milk made from nuts.
No, I'm not nuts.   Har dee har  :)




Almond Breeze is made by the Blue Diamond company, who also package awesome regular nuts. It is a milk made from pressing almonds and is only 40 calories per cup. Yep. Ok, I'll give you a minute to collect yourself. 

Ok, good? So yes, 40 calories which is half the calories of a cup of regular skim milk. According to the website, Almond Breeze is:

  • Gluten, cholesterol and lactose free
  • Excellent source of calcium, vitamins D & E
  • Good source of vitamin A

And it really does taste good. It tastes sweeter than regular milk. Even the unsweetened Original version which I used here. It does not have any aftertaste and is pretty creamy, too.  It works perfectly in anything you would use milk for; I use it in cereal, recipes, and coffee :)



Almond Breeze comes in Original, Chocolate, and Vanilla, and all of these come in either sweetened or unsweetened. The sweetened versions are higher in calories (about 60 for a cup of Original).  I have totally converted to Almond Breeze and use it in everything. I never reach for regular milk anymore and I never crave it or feel deprived drinking almond milk instead. The best part is - well, there's two best parts - first, it tastes subtly sweet and is AWESOME in cereal, and second, it has the EXACT same amount of calcium per serving as skim milk.  

And Grandma, even you will like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment